Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Beatles Rubber Soul 1965

I've never really strayed from this being my favorite by the world's most famous band. And while I'm sure there's a decent rebuttal, I believe that the American version, with two less songs, is the better, more cohesive record. I bought the CD not long after it came out, and the shock of the difference in the two versions took some time to get over.

The American version was this:
Side one
1. I’ve Just Seen A Face
2. Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)"
3. You Won't See Me
4. Think for Yourself
5. The Word
6. Michelle
Side two
1. It’s Only Love
2. Girl
3. I’m Looking Through You
4. In My Life
5. Wait
6. Run for Your Life

The UK version was this:
Side one
1. Drive My Car
2. Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)
3. You Won't See Me
4. Nowhere Man
5. Think for Yourself
6. The Word
7. Michelle
Side two
1. What Goes On
2. Girl
3. I'm Looking Through You
4. In My Life
5. Wait
6. If I Needed Someone
7. Run for Your Life
 
The UK version has four songs that the American version does not: Drive My Car, Nowhere Man, What Goes On, and If I Needed Someone. Drive My Car and Nowhere Man are good, but they don't really fit the rest of the record. In the context of this record, the American version's I've Just Seen A Face, and the harmonies of It's Only Love just make better sense.

There's a few that come close, but song for song, this record can hold it's own against all comers.

Within the Beatles' catalog, it's right in the middle, in so many ways. Still a touch of innocence, some new innovations and inspirations, but without some of the excess of later works. Lennon and McCartney still writing together, everyone maturing, and the band firing on all cylinders.

No comments:

Post a Comment