Sunday, March 24, 2013

"How Come My Dog Don't Bark When You Come Around" Dr. John 1992

In 1992 Dr. John made Back To New Orleans. If you'd like to hear some authentic New Orleans style musical gumbo you can't do much better. There's a few classic Neville Brothers records that come to mind, but nothing really tops this. Fine piano, great song selection, huge and stellar supporting cast, including the Nevilles and many Big Easy greats.

But the song that gets me every time is How Come My Dog Don't Bark When You Come Around. You know what it's about before you hear it, but it's funnier than you can imagine. And a little dark, too. For a cheating song, it is the perfect twist. If you've never had a dog, well, too bad for you. They're wonderful.

Oh yeah, back to the song. My dog's the meanest dog in town, he'll bite anybody, he takes one look at you, he wants to play. When I come home, he don't sleep that sound, now somebody's been confusing my poor hound, and I want to know what's been going down - How come my dog don't bark when you come around?

It just gets better from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment