Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Peggy Lee Ultimate Peggy Lee 2020

How many of these apply to you?

1) I love the classic 50s-60s era of great jazz and popular song.

2) I love a great female voice/singer.

3) I love a well-crafted song, delivered in a fine arrangement.

4) Good sound enhances my enjoyment of music. 

5) I'm not sure I am familiar enough with Peggy Lee.

If you can answer yes to a few of those (I'm good for all five), you need to hear this record. Available on CD or a very nicely pressed 2 LP set, the mastering job is excellent and the sound is impressive. The song selection is also good, with a few that don't usually make it to most of her "best of" sets. Of course there are many compilations by Lee out there, and her Decca and Capitol work are usually mutually exclusive, so it is also nice that this one contains three essentials from her mid-fifties Decca stint along with her Capitol work.

And then there's Peggy Lee's voice and sensual delivery. She is unique in her delivery. Sexy, but never coquettish, Lee whispers in your ear like a woman that knows.

Great songs (five that she wrote), great singer, great sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment