Monday, February 27, 2023

Mitsuko Uchida in recital: Beethoven Sonatas Nos. 30, 31, 32 February 26, 2023

I am hardly an expert on classical music, but I like it, and it challenges my musical acumen and tastes beyond my usual pop, rock and jazz interests. My wife and I subscribed to Cleveland Orchestra performances for some 10-12 years, seeing between four and six concerts per year, although we stopped attending regularly a few years ago. 

During the time we went frequently, we became enamored with Misuko Uchida, who performed and conducted from the piano a series of Mozart Piano Concertos. Twice. The second time around they were recorded live for release on Decca CD. I discussed one of those performances previously.

Yesterday we saw Ms. Uchida perform Beethoven's last three piano sonatas in solo recital at the orchestra's home in Severance Hall, a beautiful place worth seeing even without music. Beethoven has a heavier hand than Mozart certainly, and these late period pieces are challenging both technically for the artist and for the listener. Strong, powerful music, expressive and emotive. Mitsuko Uchida thrilled us.

While Sonatas 30 and 31 challenge and expand the form, 32 is a very real derivation. Parts of the structure had a jazz-like quality, and it almost felt at times like Ms. Uchida was playing one of Kieth Jarrett's solo improvisations. Someone with more understanding of classical music forms could explain it better. It was a little strange to these ears, but in a good way. I guess I liked the first two sonatas more, but the entire evening was riveting.

No comments:

Post a Comment