Friday, September 4, 2026

Prince Timeless 2026, The Guess Who Live 1972, Badfinger Straight Up 1971, Toy Matinee 1990, NRBQ Workshop 1972

The brand new Prince release really should have been titled Cash Grab.

 

The Guess Who Live at the Paramount 1972. I owned a Guess Who record (Wheatfield Soul 1969) way way back in '69. But everything I thought about the band changed when I heard this live record just recently. I was never convinced that Burton Cummings was the real deal. He is. The band totally rocks, and they are so much better than their records.

Badfinger Straight Up 1971. Everyone says that this is Badfinger's finest, and it sure is good. But for me, No Dice 1970 is just better, and it's definitely more fun. Hat tip to Bloggerythyms for this and The Guess Who.

Toy Matinee 1990. Never heard this until recently, and I can't remember which blogger to thank. A bunch of mostly studio pros form a band, make one record, and disappear. No big deal there, except it is a killer rock and roll record with great songs, fine instrumentation, tight arrangements, good vocals, and obvious intelligence about what makes a strong record.

NRBQ Workshop 1972. One of the most consistently strong NRBQ records, and yet somehow woefully neglected by the press. It's been reissued several times since 2007, and this new one is remastered. I don't know if it makes much difference, and I didn't compare it to my original vinyl, but it sounds good and there's a few extra tracks that have appeared before. For twenty years with Al Anderson, NRBQ made a whole lot of great ones. This one is in the top ten for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment