Saturday, April 2, 2011

Spinning Vinyl

If you've read this blog before, you know I like vinyl. It's not just that it sounds warmer and more rhythmic than CD, it's also that the records I love from the sixties and seventies, some of my favorite stuff, is on vinyl in my collection. Last night I got home early from work and my wife called to say she would be late. Opportunity knocks. Turn it up.

I started with Springsteen's The River 1980, side two, with Hungry Heart, Out In The Street, Crush On You, You Can Look (But You Better Not Touch), I Wanna Marry You, and The River. Talk about your classic album side. Like most two-LP affairs, The River is a sprawling effort, but side two is perfect. From there I pulled out The Best Of The J. Geils Band 1979 for Southside Shuffle and Give It To Me. Hey, it was Friday- need I say more? This also explains Mountain's Mississippi Queen from their 1970 debut Climbing!

I slowed things down for a steamy blues (Go-Go Boots) and a country weeper (Dancin' Ricky) from The Drive-By Truckers latest Go-Go Boots 2011. While doing the southern thing, I played One Way Out from The Allman Brothers Eat A Peach 1972. One of their hottest moments, even with so many to choose from.

How I then chose The Electric Flag An American Music Band 1968 is a mystery, but Hey Little Girl with Nick Gravenites' great vocal, and Buddy Miles' Mystery were both fun to hear, if just a bit dated. Quickly back to Friday night territory, I played Funk 49 by the James Gang from The Best Of The James Gang 1973. Joe Walsh is a spectacular guitarist. Period. Midnight Man from the same record was fun, as I hadn't heard it in a while.

Australia from The Kinks Arthur 1969 has always been a favorite. Another great guitar song. Dave Davies' lead/jam on the song's four-minute "fade" is wonderful, and an unusual extended form for the Kinks. This lead into Bob Weir's Ace 1972, and I listened to the hilarious Mexicali Blues, the rocking (especially for the Dead) One More Saturday Night, and the gorgeous ballad Cassidy. This record qualifies for top five Grateful Dead studio records easily in my book.

I haven't listened to Santana in a while, so I listened to Samba Pa Ti, Hope You're Feeling Better, and El Nicoya from Abraxas 1970. I could have chosen better Santana material, frankly, and by then my wife was due home, so I switched gears to Norah Jones for side one of The Fall 2009. This record keeps growing on me. It's mellow, but it pulsates. And her singing and writing and the arrangements are all strong.

Then I stumbled upon George Harrison's swansong Brainwashed 2002, and I listened to Between The Devil And The Deep Blue Sea, Rocking Chair In Hawaii, and Brainwashed. Like all of Harrison's records, it's not perfect, but there are some fine moments.

As we sat down to dinner my wife asked me to play that record I had on the other night, so I dropped the needle on John Hiatt's 1987 gem Bring The Family. There are not many records that come this close to perfect. We listened to the whole record. Bring The Family has it all- Hiatt's best collection of songs ever (and he's done much outstanding songwriting), his consistently great singing, the most amazing "back-up band" ever (Jim Keltner, Ry Cooder, and Nick Lowe!), and an outstanding, clean recording with weight and depth.

Dinner was delicious. But that's for some other blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment