Sunday, April 18, 2010

Desert Island Discs












"If you were stranded on a desert island, which 10 CDs would you take?" (Assuming there's electricity and a stereo on the island.)

Many a late night hour has been filled seeking the answer to this question. There are many factors to ponder, to consider, to argue about. Like what are the qualities of the music you'll choose? Should you take your 10 favorites? Should you try to cover a range of styles/genres? Do you take the CDs with your 10 favorite songs, or are you looking for complete records that contain only songs you like.

I approach this list with the latter attitude. I'm looking for CDs that I like from start to end, because they are the only 10 I'll have. I don't want a single crappy song. So I'm only considering records that I think are near perfect, every song.

I'd come up with a different list next week, or last year (but it would always contain one of the first three records by The Band). So, for today, here's my Desert Island CD List:

The Band The Band 1969
Blood On The Tracks Bob Dylan 1974
Rubber Soul The Beatles 1965
Live In Paris Diana Krall 2002
Star Time James Brown 1991
Kiln House Fleetwood Mac 1970
It's Too Late To Stop Now Van Morrison 1974
How We Operate Gomez 2006
Live At Blues Alley Eva Cassidy 1996
Boats To Build Guy Clark 1992

No comments:

Post a Comment